Ampersand Ring: & Apparel (use code downtown20 to get 20% off your order)
On Downtown Demure, I try to feature fashion companies that are valuable to my precious readers or to the world at large – be it a stylish shop producing clothing that’s actually affordable, a company that creates modest custom clothing, or a non-profit that gives much-needed spiritual and financial resources to exploited groups of people. Today I’m so happy to share a brand that falls into the latter category.
Fashion & Compassion (F&C) is non-profit boutique that partners with female jewelry artisans all over the world to help them sell and promote their beautiful creations globally. Most of the artisans they partner with are political refugees, victims of sex trafficking, or overcoming extreme poverty. F&C aims to transform communities through dignity — the dignity that comes with economic opportunity and spiritual support — and spreading beauty through the jewelry these artisans create. F&C wants all the women they partner with to know that they are loved. They also want consumers to know more about the issues and injustices affecting these women.
After combing through their website and social media pages, I was 90% set on working with this incredible organization. Before committing, I wanted to dig a little deeper to see if their spiritual support involved unscriptural teaching. No matter how beautiful their mission may seem, it would be fruitless if it involved teaching unbiblical teachings as absolute truths (as can so easily happen at faith-based organizations).
The employee I directly corresponded with is a fellow sister in Christ and one of the sweetest people I’ve never met. She gracefully and honestly answered my (many) questions about her organization. I now feel very comfortable promoting them.
Now onto the product itself. I originally ordered a different necklace and bracelet, but I wasn’t impressed with the quality of either item, so I asked to exchange for the necklace and bracelet set featured above. Let me know tell you, I LOVE both pieces. Love. They’re beautifully crafted from recycled Ethiopian beads, jasper and pavé crystal, and the pavé crystals glisten wonderfully in the light.
My necklace and bracelet were made by two women who are apart of the Freedom Project. I know that because F&C includes the names of artisans who created your jewelry so you can pray for them. I think that’s so neat!
At $30-$70 bucks a pop, this jewelry isn’t cheap, but it shouldn’t be. The higher prices points allow for the artisans to make a fair wage and product high-quality jewelry that should last for years.
Need more reasons to love Fashion & Compassion? Here are their core values, which speak volumes:
- Love, because “If we love each other, God lives in us, and His love is brought to full expression in us.” 1 John 4:12
- Dignity, for all human life, born and unborn, because “God created human beings in His own image.” Genesis 1:27
- Hope, because “hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is the tree of life.” Proverbs 13:12
- Service, because Jesus “came not to be served but to serve others.” Mark 10:45
- Community, because “a spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.” 1 Corinthians 12:7
- Integrity, because “God examines our hearts and rejoices when He finds integrity there, knowing that we have served Him with pure motives.” 1 Chronicles 29:17
- Generosity, because “God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” 2 Corinthians 9:8
- Action, because “it isn’t enough to just have faith, Faith that doesn’t show itself by good deeds is not faith at all – it is dead and useless.” James 2:17
- Beauty “to bestow a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61:3
Please check out Fashion & Compassion let me know what you think in the comments below!
Linking up with: More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express // Style to Inspire // Manic Mondays //Mix It Mondays // Pink Sole // Still Being Molly // Turning Heads Tuesday // Style Elixir // Garay Treasures // Pleated Poppy //Because Shanna Said So //Stylish Housewife // The Wednesday Pants // Style Me Wednesday // Happiness at Mid Life // The Red Closet Diary // Mix Match Fashion // Thursday Fashion Files // High Latitude Style //Friday Favorites // Birdie Shoots // Pumps and Pushups // Because Shanna Said So // Favorite Fashion Friday